- Remove Culture filter Culture
- Remove Dialects and arts filter Dialects and arts
- Remove Osterøy filter Osterøy
- Remove Sveio filter Sveio
- Remove Industry, Energy and Natural Resources filter Industry, Energy and Natural Resources
Valestrand became a centre for the tanning industry in Osterøy; one of the old crafts that has developed into a local industry with many places of work. From the 1870s ever more ventures were started. Many of the large sea houses we see today around the bay have been places for tanning and leather enterprises.
“Fartein Valen is the key figure within newer Norwegian music. Not by way of being more popular than other younger composers, but because he aims at things higher, which he is fully confident of being able to reach since he commands all techniques. But there is a price to pay for reaching above the ordinary, and there is a price to pay for demanding more than the ordinary from the listeners. This is something Valen has experienced”.