- Remove Culture filter Culture
- Remove Dialects and arts filter Dialects and arts
- Remove Industry, Energy and Natural Resources filter Industry, Energy and Natural Resources
- Remove Landscape filter Landscape
- Remove Literature filter Literature
- Remove Seabirds filter Seabirds
- Remove Quarries filter Quarries
The industrial settlement Bjørsvik
From his loft window on the doctor’s farm at Tangarås the young Hans Ernst Kinck had a view of the fjord and the Mauranger mountains. The fjord settlements in West Norway made a strong impression on the young boy when his family moved from Setesdal, from “the stifling mystique of the ballad”, to Strandebarm in 1876. The new district doctor bought the old captain’s farm at Tangarås, which had for some time been a military head farm after Håbrekke further into the settlement.
Steatite is a type of stone that is abundant in Hardanger. There are large steatite deposits in the mountain below Folgefonna. These deposits are visible both in Krossdalen in Jondal, at Kveitno in Odda and at Måge in Ullensvang. There are many traces of steatite quarrying in Hardanger, and one of the largest fields is in the hillside above Måge.