- Remove Cultural landscapes filter Cultural landscapes
- Remove Samnanger filter Samnanger
- Remove Voss, frå 2020 del av nye Voss Herad. filter Voss, frå 2020 del av nye Voss Herad.
- Remove Archaeological findings filter Archaeological findings
- Remove Literature filter Literature
- Remove Vernacular crafts filter Vernacular crafts
On the farm Bø, close to the highway between Bulken and Voss lies Byrkjehaugen, one of the largest burial mounds in West Norway. Originally it was around 50m across and 5m high, but following the excavation in 1908 and chipping off by both railway and road construction, the cross-section has shrunk to 37m and the height to 4m. All the same, it is an impressive burial monument for the passing traveller to see.
Evanger (from Old Norse ålvangr, “vang”, “voll” (field) where the horses may graze) is the place where the river from Vangsvatnet, the Voss watercourse, runs out into Evangervatnet. From here Teigdalen valley runs to the north, towards Eksingedalen, and from here there is a short distance to Bergsdalen in the south.
One of the oldest farms in Myrkdalen, Ulvund, is recognized as one of 14 areas in Hordaland having an especially valuable cultural landscape. The dirt road runs along a steep slope down toward Lake Myrkdalsvatnet. The flattest field, which today is harvested for silage, used to be an old grain field, while the slopes were old hayfields.