- Remove Cultural landscapes filter Cultural landscapes
- Remove Samnanger filter Samnanger
- Remove Voss, frå 2020 del av nye Voss Herad. filter Voss, frå 2020 del av nye Voss Herad.
- Remove Archaeological findings filter Archaeological findings
- Remove Literature filter Literature
- Remove Kvinnherad filter Kvinnherad
Halsnøy Monastery is situated in the midst of the lush fjord country in Sunnhordland, on one of the old spits, or “necks”, that has given name to the island. Gently sloping fields lead down to the sea on both sides, in the south towards the Kloster Fjord, to the north towards the sheltered Klostervågen.
On the farm Bø, close to the highway between Bulken and Voss lies Byrkjehaugen, one of the largest burial mounds in West Norway. Originally it was around 50m across and 5m high, but following the excavation in 1908 and chipping off by both railway and road construction, the cross-section has shrunk to 37m and the height to 4m. All the same, it is an impressive burial monument for the passing traveller to see.