- Remove Smallholdings filter Smallholdings
- Remove Maritime environments filter Maritime environments
- Remove Avalanches and rock falls filter Avalanches and rock falls
- Remove Churches filter Churches
- Remove Vernacular crafts filter Vernacular crafts
- Remove Weather and climate filter Weather and climate
- Remove Aristocracy and civil servants filter Aristocracy and civil servants
Well over 200 years ago, the priest Niels Hertzberg started making climate observations at the vicarage at Lofthus in Ullensvang. Hertzberg was active and ahead of his time in many fields, and had a great interest in natural science. Temperature and pressure were measured daily at the vicarage - often several times a day - with homemade instruments. The meteorological measurements started in December of 1797, and were carried out continuously until 1840, the year before he died.