- Remove Museum filter Museum
- Remove Boat- and shipyards filter Boat- and shipyards
- Remove Iron age filter Iron age
- Remove Defense filter Defense
- Remove Museums, nature conservation, cultural heritage filter Museums, nature conservation, cultural heritage
- Remove Sunnhordland filter Sunnhordland
- Remove Industry, Energy and Natural Resources filter Industry, Energy and Natural Resources
In 1852 Haktor Thorsen erected two large warehouses on one of his farms in Sunde and started trading and salting herring. This was the start of an industrial adventure that made Sunde into one of the first industrial communities in Kvinnherad.
The first finds of pyrite at Litlabø in Stord came to light in 1864. Forty years later sulphuric ore was mined from an open mine. From 1874 to 1880 it was used for dynamite production. That came to a sudden end when the factory exploded and three people died.