- Remove Museum filter Museum
- Remove Museums, nature conservation, cultural heritage filter Museums, nature conservation, cultural heritage
- Remove Etne filter Etne
- Remove Boat- and shipyards filter Boat- and shipyards
- Remove Bergen filter Bergen
- Remove Midthordland filter Midthordland
- Remove Industry, Energy and Natural Resources filter Industry, Energy and Natural Resources
Alvøen is one of the oldest industrial places in Norway. As early as the 1620s a gunpowder mill was built here. The place itself was well situated for industrial activity, lying only 100 m from the waterfall, which provided power for the mill, and a good harbour wherefrom the products were shipped. The success of the gun-powder mill varied in the 1600s and 1700s, but what made Alvøen best known was its paper production.