- Remove Small landforms filter Small landforms
- Remove Place filter Place
- Remove Sediments filter Sediments
- Remove Boat- and shipyards filter Boat- and shipyards
- Remove Industry, Energy and Natural Resources filter Industry, Energy and Natural Resources
In 1852 Haktor Thorsen erected two large warehouses on one of his farms in Sunde and started trading and salting herring. This was the start of an industrial adventure that made Sunde into one of the first industrial communities in Kvinnherad.
The three spades in the municipal coat of arms for Modalen are sand spades. Sand quarrying has brought income and employment. As much as 70,000-80,0000 tonnes of sand and gravel left the municipality each year since the turn of the millennium, to be used as cementing sand. Why is Modalen endowed with so much sand?