- Remove Small landforms filter Small landforms
- Remove Middle age filter Middle age
- Remove Eidfjord filter Eidfjord
- Remove Stord filter Stord
- Remove Hydro power filter Hydro power
- Remove Churches, Cloisters, Christianity filter Churches, Cloisters, Christianity
- Remove Odda, frå 2020 del av nye Ullensvang kommune. filter Odda, frå 2020 del av nye Ullensvang kommune.
The stave church in Røldal was one of the key pilgrimage churches in West Norway. The church was probably built between 1250 and 1350, and in the high Middle Ages Røldal was the most important destination for pilgrims in the country beside the Nidaros cathedral. It was the crucifix that attracted people to midnight mass on midsummer night. That was when it excreted its miraculous sweat.
The old stone church at Eidfjord has an open position on the terrace at Lægreid. In a diploma from 1310 it transpires that Torgeir on Sponheim donated a gift for the erection of the church in Eidfjord. Thus we can assume that the church was under construction at the time. The elements in the style confirm such a dating.