- Remove Modalen filter Modalen
- Remove Settlements, Villages, Towns filter Settlements, Villages, Towns
- Remove Jondal, frå 2020 del av nye Ullensvang kommune. filter Jondal, frå 2020 del av nye Ullensvang kommune.
- Remove Hardanger og Voss filter Hardanger og Voss
- Remove Chieftains and royal lines filter Chieftains and royal lines
- Remove Trading posts and guesthouses filter Trading posts and guesthouses
- Remove Civil servant dwellings and manors filter Civil servant dwellings and manors
- Remove Maritime environments filter Maritime environments
- Remove Granvin, frå 2020 del av nye Voss herad filter Granvin, frå 2020 del av nye Voss herad
- Remove Farm sites filter Farm sites
Down by the fjord at Svåsand, close to the main highway, there is a long row of boathouses, one of the well-preserved, older boathouse locations along the Hardanger fjord. It is the farms at Svåsand that have their boathouses here, four main farms with origins far back in time.
When bishop J.Neumann was on a visitation in Hardanger in 1825 he also visited Torsnes, the seat of the Galtung family. They were then in the process of pulling down the old dwelling house on the farm. As the committed observer of ancient monuments and antiquarian buildings that he was, bishop Neumann has provided us with interesting details:
The farm Vik in Jondal has been one of the earliest settled farms in Jondal; a good and fertile farm east of the river. Legends hold that mighty men have lived in Vik, and it is easy to imagine that the farm may have been a chieftain’s seat for some time.
In the Middle Ages the farmers were under obligation to transport state officials. The bishops were entitled to 18 horses when they travelled about on visitations, and the king could requisition free transport.
Folkedal, which today is like a small “detour” from the main highway, was in the Middle Ages centrally situated in one of the most important roads between Hardanger and Voss. This is the road that Olav Haraldsson travelled in 1023, when he came from the royal farm at Avaldsnes for a meeting with the Voss inhabitants about the new belief. The road passes across the mountain pasture Krossaset and down Bordalen to Vangen.