- Remove Øygarden, frå 2020 del av nye Øygarden kommune. filter Øygarden, frå 2020 del av nye Øygarden kommune.
- Remove Basement rocks filter Basement rocks
- Remove Midthordland filter Midthordland
- Remove Archaeological findings filter Archaeological findings
- Remove Hydro power filter Hydro power
- Remove Bedrock filter Bedrock
- Remove Askøy filter Askøy
- Remove Thrust sheets filter Thrust sheets
- Remove Samnanger filter Samnanger
Strawberry-growing on Askøy flourished in the beginning of the last century. When gardener Samson Eik took in the type "Seierherren" from Rosendal in 1909 for growing strawberries on Hop, it appeared that the soil and climate in this area was perfect for the mass production of strawberries.
A barren belt where almost nothing grows, runs through the forest on the east slope of Gullbotnen. But, along the west side of the main road there is a fertile zone that flourishes with several finicky plant types. The contrasts arise from the extreme variations in the nutrient content of the bedrock.
Håkons Hall, Domkirken Church, Bergen Børs Stock Exchange, Permanenten and other well known buildings in Bergen are decorated with soapstone from Øvre Kvernes. The quarry is a big hole in the mountainside by the cliff just east of the farm buildings.