- Remove Øygarden, frå 2020 del av nye Øygarden kommune. filter Øygarden, frå 2020 del av nye Øygarden kommune.
- Remove Midthordland filter Midthordland
- Remove Archaeological findings filter Archaeological findings
- Remove Hydro power filter Hydro power
- Remove Maritime environments filter Maritime environments
- Remove Settlements, Villages, Towns filter Settlements, Villages, Towns
- Remove Trading posts and guesthouses filter Trading posts and guesthouses
Hernar is a small group of islands northwest of Seløy, an old outlying harbour on the western route. This is where ships were lying in wait for favourable weather before heading out west, and this is where the ships from the western Isles came in. Hjeltefjorden is proof of this. The fjord is named after the people from Hjaltland (Shetland).
On the farm Hjelmo, furthest north in Øygarden, in the innermost part of a long bay, there is a fine boatshed collection with a church beside it. From times immemorial this has probably been the fish-shed location for these farm units and this was also the landing place for the churchgoers.
Herdlevær lies on one of the small islands west of Hjeltefjorden, facing the North Sea and the big ocean. Today you may arrive there by car. The numerous islands are linked together by elegant bridge spans made of concrete. Fifty years ago it was half a day’s journey to get to Herdlevær from the mainland by your own rowing boat or ferry.