- Remove Maritime environments filter Maritime environments
- Remove Defense filter Defense
- Remove Tysnes filter Tysnes
- Remove Sunnhordland filter Sunnhordland
- Remove Archaeology filter Archaeology
- Remove Memorial stones filter Memorial stones
- Remove Place filter Place
- Remove Midthordland filter Midthordland
- Remove Middle age filter Middle age
- Remove People and Society filter People and Society
- Remove Aristocracy and civil servants filter Aristocracy and civil servants
- Remove Sund, frå 2020 del av nye Øygarden kommune filter Sund, frå 2020 del av nye Øygarden kommune
B.E.Bendixen, who has written about “The Churches in Søndre Bergenhus Amt”, believed even around 1900 that there was evidence at Tyssøy of the church or the chapel of the Holy Ludvig (Louis). Two large stone blocks had lain in the western wall of the church’s nave, and this wall showed a length of 16 meters in the terrain.
Tælavåg has a significant place in the history of the German occupation in WWII. The small community by the sea, where for centuries people had made a living from farming and fishing in harmony with the natural resources, in 1942 became the victim of German reprisals without their equal in Norwegian war history. The collection of war histories in Tælavåg provides us with a close-up of the dramatic events.
The prehistoric site at Årbakkasanden with menhirs and burial mounds has been visited, described and illustrated by many learned researchers through the last 350 years. All the same, we still know very little of this unique cultural monument.