- Remove Small landforms filter Small landforms
- Remove Maritime environments filter Maritime environments
- Remove Askøy filter Askøy
- Remove Tysnes filter Tysnes
- Remove Archaeology filter Archaeology
- Remove Memorial stones filter Memorial stones
- Remove Place filter Place
- Remove People and Society filter People and Society
- Remove Aristocracy and civil servants filter Aristocracy and civil servants
Numerous finds show that the settlement at Herdla goes back to prehistoric times, and the large estate at Herdla has enjoyed a central place in the nation’s history since High Middle Ages. As Ask, Herdla was part of the country estate Harald Hårfagre took over as he took command of the west of Norway.
The prehistoric site at Årbakkasanden with menhirs and burial mounds has been visited, described and illustrated by many learned researchers through the last 350 years. All the same, we still know very little of this unique cultural monument.