- Remove Settlements, Villages, Towns filter Settlements, Villages, Towns
- Remove Maritime environments filter Maritime environments
- Remove Fisheries filter Fisheries
- Remove Midthordland filter Midthordland
- Remove Samnanger filter Samnanger
- Remove Mountain farms filter Mountain farms
- Remove Cultural landscapes filter Cultural landscapes
- Remove Øygarden, frå 2020 del av nye Øygarden kommune. filter Øygarden, frå 2020 del av nye Øygarden kommune.
- Remove Churches filter Churches
Herdlevær lies on one of the small islands west of Hjeltefjorden, facing the North Sea and the big ocean. Today you may arrive there by car. The numerous islands are linked together by elegant bridge spans made of concrete. Fifty years ago it was half a day’s journey to get to Herdlevær from the mainland by your own rowing boat or ferry.
On the farm Hjelmo, furthest north in Øygarden, in the innermost part of a long bay, there is a fine boatshed collection with a church beside it. From times immemorial this has probably been the fish-shed location for these farm units and this was also the landing place for the churchgoers.
The fishnet shed at Notaholmen stands as a reminder of the days when people used to row out on the fjord to set their nets. On Notaholmen the nets were dried, repaired and tanned. And it was a great advantage to store them in a place inaccessible for rats and mice.