- Remove Settlements, Villages, Towns filter Settlements, Villages, Towns
- Remove Kvam filter Kvam
- Remove Jondal, frå 2020 del av nye Ullensvang kommune. filter Jondal, frå 2020 del av nye Ullensvang kommune.
- Remove Hardanger og Voss filter Hardanger og Voss
- Remove Chieftains and royal lines filter Chieftains and royal lines
- Remove Trading posts and guesthouses filter Trading posts and guesthouses
- Remove Civil servant dwellings and manors filter Civil servant dwellings and manors
- Remove Farm sites filter Farm sites
- Remove Ulvik filter Ulvik
Bruosen is one of the few river harbours in the county. As landing place for the churchgoers, this place and the boatshed environment follow a tradition that goes back to the Middle Ages, but the country store of today is much younger.
The farm Frøystein by the Ulvik fjord is commonly called Fryste. In 1614 the name was written Frøstemb – an obvious Danish influence – and the form Frøsten was used up until the land register in 1886 and 1907. It is probable that the name of the farm originally was Frystvin; a vin-name. Thus it has no connection with neither Frøy (Norse fertility god) nor stein (stone).
Norheim, “the farm by the narrow sound” is mentioned in a diploma from the Middle Ages and in an inheritance document. This is one of the large farms in Hardanger, of those that belonged to the powerful families; Sandven in Kvam, Torsnes in Jondal, Aga in Ullensvang and Spånheim in Ulvik.
When bishop J.Neumann was on a visitation in Hardanger in 1825 he also visited Torsnes, the seat of the Galtung family. They were then in the process of pulling down the old dwelling house on the farm. As the committed observer of ancient monuments and antiquarian buildings that he was, bishop Neumann has provided us with interesting details:
The farm Vik in Jondal has been one of the earliest settled farms in Jondal; a good and fertile farm east of the river. Legends hold that mighty men have lived in Vik, and it is easy to imagine that the farm may have been a chieftain’s seat for some time.