- Remove Maritime environments filter Maritime environments
- Remove People and Society filter People and Society
- Remove Askøy filter Askøy
- Remove Os, frå 2020 del av nye Bjørnafjorden kommune filter Os, frå 2020 del av nye Bjørnafjorden kommune
- Remove Civil servant dwellings and manors filter Civil servant dwellings and manors
- Remove Chieftains and royal lines filter Chieftains and royal lines
- Remove Middle age filter Middle age
- Remove Aristocracy and civil servants filter Aristocracy and civil servants
- Remove Archaeology filter Archaeology
- Remove Bronze age filter Bronze age
Numerous finds show that the settlement at Herdla goes back to prehistoric times, and the large estate at Herdla has enjoyed a central place in the nation’s history since High Middle Ages. As Ask, Herdla was part of the country estate Harald Hårfagre took over as he took command of the west of Norway.
At the bottom of Vargavågen on Halhjem lies Grødalshaug, a 30 metres high rocky outcrop between the bay and a moist valley cleft. On the south side of the rock is a steep rock cliff facing the valley, the bog and the stream. On this rock face we find rock carvings from the Bronze Age.