- Remove Museum filter Museum
- Remove Vernacular arts filter Vernacular arts
- Remove Iron age filter Iron age
- Remove Defense filter Defense
- Remove Museums, nature conservation, cultural heritage filter Museums, nature conservation, cultural heritage
- Remove Hardanger og Voss filter Hardanger og Voss
- Remove Industry, Energy and Natural Resources filter Industry, Energy and Natural Resources
Today Tyssedal appears like a classical industrial community, a picture of modern Norway from the turn of the former century until today. A/S Tyssefaldene was established in 1906, and on 1 May 1908 Tyssedal power station was put into operation. The work on the first stage of the facility was completed in a short time, with a work force of 500 men. They built water tunnels, regulation reservoirs, power station, penstocks, harbour, cableways, office buildings, houses and 6 km of power lines in the wild mountains above Odda to provide the new melting plant with power.
If you are lucky you can find 9000-year-old pine stumps on Hardangervidda. Since that time, the tree line has continuously declined. But now, it is on its way back up again.