- Remove Small landforms filter Small landforms
- Remove Middle age filter Middle age
- Remove Maritime environments filter Maritime environments
- Remove Road constructions filter Road constructions
- Remove Nordhordland filter Nordhordland
- Remove Place filter Place
- Remove Wildlife filter Wildlife
- Remove Meland, frå 2020 del av nye Alver kommune. filter Meland, frå 2020 del av nye Alver kommune.
- Remove Settlements, Villages, Towns filter Settlements, Villages, Towns
If you come by sea to Bergen and come up the Herdle Fjord, the yellow ochre marine shed at Holmeknappen is a well known landmark to starboard as you come close to the little shore settlement. In olden days Holmenknappen served important functions as a centre for a wide hinterland of the surrounding farms, warehouse, landing point, country store and later a steamer quay, a hotel (1896) and a dairy (1909). But today Holmeknappen is no longer a focal point. Transport and commercial routes have changed the old pattern
When the debate about building a pontoon bridge over Salhus Fjord was raging, some were afraid that the bridge would disrupt the ecology of the fjord system inside. The worst predictions did not prove true, but it is easy to see that there was a change: the Puffins have gotten a new food platter after the Nordhordaland bridge was built. Its favourite meal, mussels, thrive on the pontoons that are the foundation for the bridge.