- Remove Small landforms filter Small landforms
- Remove Maritime environments filter Maritime environments
- Remove Defense filter Defense
- Remove Sunnhordland filter Sunnhordland
- Remove Archaeology filter Archaeology
- Remove Memorial stones filter Memorial stones
- Remove Place filter Place
- Remove Midthordland filter Midthordland
- Remove Middle age filter Middle age
- Remove Aristocracy and civil servants filter Aristocracy and civil servants
In connection with the planned developments in the oil sector at Vindenes around 1980, excavations were carried out under the auspices of Bergen Historical Museum. Exceptionally interesting traces of an old farm at Høybøen then came to light. These were the remnants of a farm where there had been two houses containing several rooms.
The prehistoric site at Årbakkasanden with menhirs and burial mounds has been visited, described and illustrated by many learned researchers through the last 350 years. All the same, we still know very little of this unique cultural monument.
B.E.Bendixen, who has written about “The Churches in Søndre Bergenhus Amt”, believed even around 1900 that there was evidence at Tyssøy of the church or the chapel of the Holy Ludvig (Louis). Two large stone blocks had lain in the western wall of the church’s nave, and this wall showed a length of 16 meters in the terrain.