- Remove People and Society filter People and Society
- Remove Askøy filter Askøy
- Remove Os, frå 2020 del av nye Bjørnafjorden kommune filter Os, frå 2020 del av nye Bjørnafjorden kommune
- Remove Civil servant dwellings and manors filter Civil servant dwellings and manors
- Remove Chieftains and royal lines filter Chieftains and royal lines
- Remove Middle age filter Middle age
- Remove Aristocracy and civil servants filter Aristocracy and civil servants
- Remove Archaeology filter Archaeology
- Remove Stord filter Stord
- Remove Ullensvang, frå 2020 del av nye Ullensvang kommune. filter Ullensvang, frå 2020 del av nye Ullensvang kommune.
Numerous finds show that the settlement at Herdla goes back to prehistoric times, and the large estate at Herdla has enjoyed a central place in the nation’s history since High Middle Ages. As Ask, Herdla was part of the country estate Harald Hårfagre took over as he took command of the west of Norway.
Kinsarvik has probably been a centre for the inner Hardanger districts back in prehistory. History tells us that in medieval times there was a marketing place, a “kaupang”, here; a connecting point in the communications between east and west. There were supposedly around 300 residents here but the place was likely wiped out in a great fire.