- Remove Museums, nature conservation, cultural heritage filter Museums, nature conservation, cultural heritage
- Remove Arkeologi filter Arkeologi
- Remove Museum filter Museum
- Remove Midthordland filter Midthordland
- Remove Industry, Energy and Natural Resources filter Industry, Energy and Natural Resources
- Remove People and Society filter People and Society
Alvøen is one of the oldest industrial places in Norway. As early as the 1620s a gunpowder mill was built here. The place itself was well situated for industrial activity, lying only 100 m from the waterfall, which provided power for the mill, and a good harbour wherefrom the products were shipped. The success of the gun-powder mill varied in the 1600s and 1700s, but what made Alvøen best known was its paper production.
Tælavåg has a significant place in the history of the German occupation in WWII. The small community by the sea, where for centuries people had made a living from farming and fishing in harmony with the natural resources, in 1942 became the victim of German reprisals without their equal in Norwegian war history. The collection of war histories in Tælavåg provides us with a close-up of the dramatic events.