- Remove Museums, nature conservation, cultural heritage filter Museums, nature conservation, cultural heritage
- Remove Arkeologi filter Arkeologi
- Remove Farm sites filter Farm sites
- Remove Defense filter Defense
- Remove Iron age filter Iron age
- Remove Settlements, Villages, Towns filter Settlements, Villages, Towns
The farm Fjose lies uppermost in Tjukkebygdi, one of the good grain farms on the sunny side here. The woodcarver Styrk Fjose (1873-1937) came from this farm, which is now protected as a cultural heritage.
Norheim, “the farm by the narrow sound” is mentioned in a diploma from the Middle Ages and in an inheritance document. This is one of the large farms in Hardanger, of those that belonged to the powerful families; Sandven in Kvam, Torsnes in Jondal, Aga in Ullensvang and Spånheim in Ulvik.
Through Adolph Tidemand’s detailed close-ups of smokehouses in Kvam, the vicarage in Vikøy, where he lived during his painting trips through Hardanger, has obtained a central position in the Norwegian national romanticism.
The mountain settlement Reinsnos is situated at nearly 700 metres above sea level at the end of the Reinsnos lake; an entry point to the Hardanger plateau.