- Remove Settlements, Villages, Towns filter Settlements, Villages, Towns
- Remove Sund, frå 2020 del av nye Øygarden kommune filter Sund, frå 2020 del av nye Øygarden kommune
- Remove Fisheries filter Fisheries
- Remove Place filter Place
- Remove Bømlo filter Bømlo
- Remove Maritime environments filter Maritime environments
- Remove Middle age filter Middle age
- Remove Granvin, frå 2020 del av nye Voss herad filter Granvin, frå 2020 del av nye Voss herad
For generations the land-seine was the most important tool for catching herring and mackerel, and therefore a suitable casting bay was worth its weight in gold. Goltasundet (the Golta sound) on Golta was such a place. Here the herring often drifted in and fantastic casts might be made here.
Folkedal, which today is like a small “detour” from the main highway, was in the Middle Ages centrally situated in one of the most important roads between Hardanger and Voss. This is the road that Olav Haraldsson travelled in 1023, when he came from the royal farm at Avaldsnes for a meeting with the Voss inhabitants about the new belief. The road passes across the mountain pasture Krossaset and down Bordalen to Vangen.
In the years between the wars a major registration of houses and house costumes, house construction methods, fireplaces and forms of housing clusters was started in West Norway – an ambitious mapping of everything that came under the name “Registration of Culture and Geography in West Norway”. One of the places of which material was gathered in 1938 was an old multi-room house at Golta; new and interesting material for the researchers from the Historical Museum, but well known within the local building tradition through several generations.