- Remove Middle age filter Middle age
- Remove People and Society filter People and Society
- Remove Sunnhordland filter Sunnhordland
- Remove Dialects and arts filter Dialects and arts
- Remove Farm sites filter Farm sites
- Remove Chieftains and royal lines filter Chieftains and royal lines
- Remove Kvinnherad filter Kvinnherad
- Remove Place filter Place
- Remove Churches, Cloisters, Christianity filter Churches, Cloisters, Christianity
Halsnøy Monastery is situated in the midst of the lush fjord country in Sunnhordland, on one of the old spits, or “necks”, that has given name to the island. Gently sloping fields lead down to the sea on both sides, in the south towards the Kloster Fjord, to the north towards the sheltered Klostervågen.
The stately Kvinnherad Church with its characteristic profile set out against the mighty Malmangernuten in the background, gives you a rare feeling of being present in a historic landscape as you come around Nes and face the well-kept houses at the Skåla farm. The church at Skåla is one of four “fjordungskirker” (one of four main district churches) and this farm was the centre of this coastal administration district.