- Remove Small landforms filter Small landforms
- Remove Livelihood and Craftsmanship filter Livelihood and Craftsmanship
- Remove Road constructions filter Road constructions
- Remove Vernacular crafts filter Vernacular crafts
- Remove Voss (tidl. kommune) filter Voss (tidl. kommune)
- Remove Voss, frå 2020 del av nye Voss herad. filter Voss, frå 2020 del av nye Voss herad.
- Remove Settlements, Villages, Towns filter Settlements, Villages, Towns
- Remove Trading posts and guesthouses filter Trading posts and guesthouses
- Remove Vernacular arts filter Vernacular arts
Stalheim is situated between Stalheimsfossen and Sivlefossen, in a community with the farms Sivle and Brekke. The most likely explanation of the name is “the farm by Stadall”, from “standa” (stand), probably with background in the steep Stalheimskleivi. The farm has for a long time been divided into several units. At Stalheim there has been a transport exchange from the Middle Ages and the farm has been a postal farm since 1647.
Following the introduction of fixed postal deliveries in Norway from 1647, post farms were appointed where the farmer was under obligation to bring the post to the next post farm. The farm Ttvinne is situated 12km from Rogne, the next post farm to the west, and about the same distance from Vinje. Later on a transport station was established at Vinje with the possibility for overnight stay for travellers, and from the 1830s, a hotel.
Evanger (from Old Norse ålvangr, “vang”, “voll” (field) where the horses may graze) is the place where the river from Vangsvatnet, the Voss watercourse, runs out into Evangervatnet. From here Teigdalen valley runs to the north, towards Eksingedalen, and from here there is a short distance to Bergsdalen in the south.
The village at Bolstadøyri acquired its structure around the middle of the 1800s, but from the old days there has been a meeting place here; court location and trading post. The guesthouse place stems from the second half of the 17th century, and in the previous century Bolstadøyri was one of the largest rural trading posts in Nordhordland.