Det gamle fellestunet før 1910 (ukjent, Neg. D. 13825, H.M.)
The Dale farm lies well situated on the gravel by the river, below the mountain Beitelen. But a few stone throws further north, on the wide expanse behind the houses, there has been an older farmstead. Here there have been found a number of cooking hollows, pole holes, an old road and traces of something believed to have been a palisade. Finds from this oldest farmstead may be dated to the time of the migrations, 400-600 years A.D.
Sigurd Tanne, who was the owner in the 1300s, must have been a prosperous man. Apart from the land property at Dale, he also owned parts of land properties at Oppheim in Vossestrand and in Evanger. In the 1400s parts of Dale gradually came into ownership of Munkeliv monastery. Towards the end of the Middle Ages Munkeliv monastery owned 4/7 parts of the Dale farm, the bishopric 2/7 and the Apostolic church in Bergen 1/7. At the time of the Reformation, this property came under the king. The number of users was fairly stable from 1660 to 1860. On average there were nine units in the farmstead. In the 1860s the number of units increased to 11, and this led to a complicated strip mixture.