Previously there have been either a stave church or a smaller stone church here. Originally the nave was shorter and without a steeple. During a restoration in 1883-84, supervised by cathedral architect Chr. Christie, the nave was extended by 5.5 metres and a western steeple was added. The old western portal was moved out into the new steeple base. On the church loft are wall tiles that show how the church was beautifully decorated internally around the middle of the 1600s.
Several gravestones, some from the Middle Ages are leaning against the wall at the northern sacristy. Two of them have legible inscriptions. On one of them is written: “her: hvilir: sira: ogmvdr: kåra: son: er: hans: årtid: VII: nato: eptir: festvmat: bodir: f: hanom”. (Here rests Sira Ogmund Kåreson. His year time (of death) is 7 nights after Matthias’ celebration (21 September). Pray for him.).
On the other side is written: “her: hvilrir: herra: sygyrdr: er: var: gula: tings: lo: madr: sonbryniolfs: a: aga: hans: åritd: er: prim: nottom: firir: michalmesso”. (Here rests Mr. Sigurd, who was a Gulatings man (repr. at the West Norway court), son of Brynjulf at Aga. His year time (of death) is 3 nights before Michael’s mass (29 September)).