Published: 11.06.2015 | Author: Per Jahn Lavik
The church at Kyrkjebyrkjeland was pulled down in 1878. (drawing by Losting, (Cropped), X. 156.210, H.M.)
Where the county road separates from highway 1, uppermost in Vallaheiene, we enter onto one of the main roads to Bergen from way back in the Middle Ages. The road passes just in front of the graveyard still remaining after the old church at Kyrkjebyrkjeland, and cuts through the yard of the location of the old post office and transport exchange. The main building still stands here from the early 1800s. The road continues through Birkelandsbotn, across the old stone bridge at Midttun on to Bergen. This was “The Stavanger Postal Route”.